Saturday, February 1, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday - Please do not sue me for using the words "Super Bowl"

So, I'm sure all of your foodies out there have been absolutely inundated with recipe suggestions for how to make your Super Bowl Sunday food the envy of all your friends. Are you creating a "Snackadium"? http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2014/01/the-kitchens-snackadium-and-snack-recipes/ Do you think you make the best chicken wings in town? Unless you are making these: http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/recipes/articles/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013, trust me, you are not making the best wings. Perhaps you have more of a sweet tooth. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Peanut-Butter-and-Chocolate-Cheesecake-Brownies-351049 Whatever your freak flag looks like, everyone who likes football (and even those who just fake it one day a year) gets to fly theirs proudly on Super Bowl Sunday.

I'll be honest. This isn't a post about something I'll be preparing for my crazy party on Sunday (my husband isn't into football, so chances are I'll be watching the game alone unless I can crash a friend's party). It's about my adoration of all the love of food this day brings about. Other than the obvious holidays like Thanksgiving (my holiest of holy days), Easter (no offense to Our Lord and Savior), and Christmas (again, sorry), I can think of no other day that warms my cockles like Super Bowl Sunday.

Let's face it, it brings out the best and worst in all of us. Total strangers high-fiving on the street. Riots if your team loses. Riots if your team wins. Team themed drinking games http://www.seattlemet.com/eat-and-drink/nosh-pit/articles/the-nosh-pit-super-bowl-drinking-game-january-2014?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Seattle+Met+Daily+Fri+Jan+31+2014&utm_content=Seattle+Met+Daily+Fri+Jan+31+2014+CID_578687e6e7374a6880ccb49f2cc86320&utm_source=Email%20Marketing%20Software&utm_term=The%20Nosh%20Pit%20Super%20Bowl%20Drinking%20Game (in case this incredibly long link doesn't work, you can find this at SeattleMet.com) and any drinking game that encourages shots when Macklemore comes onscreen is an activity I can get behind. Though I think they missed an opportunity to add that whenever the commentator who kept saying "this is a physical game", as in "In this quarter, the 49ers are playing a physical game," take a shot. WTF? It's football. When was the last time you saw a game that wasn't physical? I must have missed the Faerie Football League, wherein the players simply flit around and look pretty. I think we can all agree that while Brandon Mebane's sack dance makes everyone think they can dance, most of the time plays end in piles of crumpled men in tight pants.

It suddenly occurs to me that you may not know that I live in Seattle, home of the fierce Seahawks. Home of the 12th Man (Shut up about the Texas A & M settlement - it was over 8 years ago)! We, here in Seattle, have the best fans. Period. It doesn't matter if it's football, baseball, hockey or soccer. We love our teams. Yet another reason I'm proud to be a Seattilite.

P.S. For those of you wondering if I just learned how to insert a link, the answer is maybe. You'll have to come back to see future posts to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment